Wednesday, November 18, 2009

2012


I asked my book's "Technical Adviser" to comment on the movie. (I found 2012 to be extremely enjoyable, and loved the special effects.) Here is his response:

Several people have asked me what I thought of some of the scenes about volcanoes (I won't say much so as to not ruin it for you) and geologic "civilization killers."

The Bronze-Age eruption in Santorini was from a still active, super volcano such as the one at Yellowstone. It indeed "killed" the Minoan civilization. Had this not happened, we might be reflecting on the Minoan classics, mythology and art rather than those of the Greeks. 2012 was great fun, short on facts/logic, and a long stretch to reality. Some of the basic premises on which it is based are not implausible nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment